Friday, January 2, 2009

Halloween Costumes....Now and Then

A few years ago (maybe 2007?) my friend Heather asked me to make a Halloween costume for her little boy Colton. Colton's dad was a football player at BYU so she thought it would be appropriate to dress her little tike as a football for Justin to carry around. I didn't really know what I was doing, but put my BS skills to work and came up with this:

This year Heather wanted Colton to be Elvis and Ail to be a 50s girl. This Elvis costume was a LOT harder than the simple football outfit! I had never sewn clothes before, had no pattern to go off of, and only one night to get it done. CRAZY!!! I used a pair of Cole's pajama pants and a t-shrit as a guide and hit the ground running. I wanted to quit a few, okay multiple, times but kept trucking away. The whole time I wasn't even sure if the silly thing would fit Cole, as he was home in bed. Luckily I pulled it off, the thing fit him (barely - notice the tight thighs!). It's a good thing too - I think I would have started bawling on the spot if it didn't fit him! I take no credit for the sweet jewels all over the costume, that was all Justin, and add so much to the costume. They got the wig at a costume shop. For Ali I sewed a quick and simple little mini-sized skirt and Heather put on the poodle. What started as a way over my head, exhausting project, turned out all right in the end! Colton looked so cute and had fun wearing his costume. That makes it worth it!

2 comments:

Brea said...

Girl, you've got SKILLS! All of your projects are so cute!

Laurie said...

In a word... ADORABLE! You're amazing! I love that Elvis suit (and the too-tight thighs just make it better)!